- Komban’s first instinct is to attack and destroy the
farmers’ main livelihood. He goes to their finest sugarcane field
secretly, at night, and starts to root around in the damp earth.
- As the full moon begins to set , Komban starts to dance,
throwing all of the field’s fine sweet stalks into the air!
- On another night Komban goes to the farmers main irrigation
tank. Now he tears out the strong dam along one side that holds all
its water back.
- Ponnivala’s beautiful fields become little more than a
swampy mess. All the farmers’ hard work is destroyed.
- Lastly, Komban goes to the farmers’ lovely flower garden.
There he tears up all the delicate plants these men depend on for
their daily worship at the family temple.
- Then Komban spots the family gardener hiding in the branches
of the one remaining palm tree in this flower garden. His anger
- With one mighty blow Komban strikes the tree and breaks it in
two. The poor gardener goes flying through the air!
- When the gardener lands he is very frightened. He hardly
understands what has happened.
- Komban then orders the gardener to turn around so that he can
write on his back with one tusk. He wants to send a challenge to
the two farmer kings!
- The message is written in the farmers’ own language: Tamil.
His letter challenges the two kings to war. It is signed “King
- The farmers take up Komban’s challenge and organize a great
boar hunt. But because they fall sick after reaching their forest
tent... they send their First Minister on the initial mission. He
must find the great monster’s hideout!
- Shambuga takes all of the farmers’ fighting men with him.
He has no trouble finding the great boar, who is asleep as usual.
- The fighting men send half their dogs to do the advance work.
They order these dogs to attack the boar’s right side first.
- The dogs enter the cave and start pulling on the boar’s
- But the boar is not asleep after all. It is pretending!
With one big roll the monster crushes all the dogs that have entered
- After losing all the hunters’ dogs, Shambuga becomes very
depressed. He has been defeated and embarrassed by Komban in front
of all of Ponnivala’s loyal fighters!