- A wild boar has been destroying Ponnivala’s fine crops.
War has been declared against it! Shambuga has called together all
the village fighters and asked them to bring their hunting dogs. He
leads these men to the spot where he will set up their hunting camp.
- Shambuga sets up Ponnivala’s hunting tent, while the other
men collect firewood.
- When the two kings arrive they give Shambuga their horses.
His job is to tether them near the hunting camp.
- Now that all is ready the men gather around their leaders’
tent. The hunting plan is discussed. Shambuga will go into forest
first, as scout. He is to find out where the boar’s lair is.
- Shambuga finds the boar alright! He is huge. The two
speak. Shambuga can understand what he says.
- The boar asks about the horn he is carrying.
- Shambuga explains that he can play his instrument rather
- He then asks the boar if he would like to hear a tune.
- When the boar answers, “yes,” Shambuga starts to play.
The tune he chooses is a children’s lullaby.
- Pretty soon the boar has retreated into his cave and fallen
- Shambuga starts to creep in closer and closer, watching
carefully for any sign that the boar might wake up now that his
music has stopped.
- When all seems safe Shambuga slides past the boar’s right
side, so as to reach the back of the cave.
- Then he climbs up on Komban’s bent leg and grabs a handful
of hair. He pulls so hard that when the hair suddenly comes out
Shambuga falls backwards!
- Shambuga then creeps back out of the cave. The boar is still
sleeping! Shambuga hears him snoring.
- So Shambuga runs back to the hunting camp with a bunch of
boar hair in his right hand. He wants to prove to his masters that
he has actually located Komban’s secret lair.
- Meanwhile a curse generated by the heroes’ sister’s pet
dog is also flying towards the hunting camp. It alights on top of
the heroes’ special tent and causes the two men inside to fall
ill. This little dog is angry because she has not been invited to
join the hunt!
- The curse makes Shankar very sick. He has to lie down.
- Shankar barely drags himself to a seated position when he
hears Shambuga has returned with news about Komban’s location.
- The two sick men manage to come outside of their tent, just
long enough to hear the results of Shambuga’s scouting expedition.
- Shambuga bows before his two masters and shows them the boar
hairs he has brought back. This is his proof to them that he now
knows where Komban’s lair is.
- Shankar and his brother are eager to start the hunt, but they
are both too sick. So Shankar asks Shambuga to lead the village
men and their dogs in his stead.
- Taking these instructions, Shambuga sets off confidently on
his important mission. This time he will lead the full contigent of
village fighters, and bear the full weight of responsibility for
- Shambuga leads the Ponnivala hunters to the boar’s den.
But this time Komban is very wary and takes great care not to be
- Soon, Shambuga’s special expedition ends in disaster. All
of the loyal village men are killed by the strong and very wily
Komban. Alas, only Shambuga survives.
- Shambuga returns to the war camp greatly humbled. He must
report this bad news. He feels terrible. But there is nothing he
can do. All of Ponnivala’s loyal supporters have been lost to the
anger of one great black beast!