- Kolatta and his wife Ariyanacci have had no children for many
years. They are growing old and begin to worry about the fate of
Ponnivala after they die.
- Lord Vishnu sees their distress. So he goes to visit Lord
Shiva and asks him to help the couple out by granting them a child.
- Shiva hides that baby under a large rock pile, and arranges for a cow to feed it!
- The little child Shiva created is as beautiful as the sun itself!
- Kunnutaiya grows strong with the help of his loving parents.
- His father, Kolatta, involves himself daily in his son’s
- Soon Kunnutaiya is taken to the family temple for a
traditional naming ceremony. Lord Vishnu attends the big event in
- Kunnutaiya is given many toys and enjoys plenty of small
- The family are very happy with their son and enjoy his
presence every day.
- Five good years pass in this way.
- Suddenly something terrible happens. Two assistants of Lord
Yeman arrive, announcing that Kolatta and Ariyanacci’s time of
death has come.
- Reluctantly, the family say their goodbyes at a nearby
- Then the couple climb the ladder that leads to the sky. Poor
Kunnutaiya, now an orphan, must stay behind.
- The Chola king comes to the palace for the funeral
ceremonies. He finds Kunnutaiya at the temple.
- The king takes Kunnutaiya to the family palace where he
asks his father’s cousins to look after him well.
- The cousins agree to the king’s request, but their answer
does not sound sincere.
- The king has other business to attend to. There is nothing
more he can do. He leaves quickly for his own kingdom.
- Poor Kunnutaiya returns to the temple for solace. He is
alone and confused.