- Tamarai and Kunnutaiya soon begin to plough and to plant
seeds on the modest piece of land they have been told they can use.
They hope for a good crop.
- Kunnutaiya goes to fetch seeds from his clansmen. But when
Tamarai sees them she knows they have been cooked. It is a trick.
She is afraid they will never sprout.
- Kunnutaiya looks at the crop, which is growing well. But he
feels there is something odd. He can not put his finger on the
- Tamarai has a strong intuition and she quickly discovers that
their maize plants have jewels inside each pod. These are not just
- Soon some neighbours are called to help with the harvest.
But they are asked to only cut the stalks. They are not to open the
cobs. The couple will do that themselves.
- Tamarai begins the task of opening up each pod. It is hard
work. She calls on Lord Vishnu for help.
- Soon Tamarai and Kunnutaiya’s baskets are full of lovely
- But then Tamarai hears some noise outside. She discovers
that many beggars have come to their door.
- Kunnutaiya does not want to give their new wealth away, but
Tamarai is very generous. She offers something to every single
beggar! By the time she is done the family baskets are empty!
- But Lord Vishnu has been watching! He has seen that
Tamarai’s heart is full of goodness. So he secretly refills each
and every basket!
- The jewels are too numerous to count! The family is wealthy
- Tamarai wants to use their new wealth to build a small
palace. Kunnutaiya agrees. Lord Vishnu comes to show them the spot
where the old palace once stood. They will build there!
- The new palace has been built. The couple now thank (and
pay) the many workers who have done such a good job!
- Payment is done “in kind.” Tamarai hands the lead worker
a small bag of real pearls!
- The nearby Chola king is invited to the ceremonies that
celebrate the family’s palace completion. The Chola is pleased.
He shows Tamarai and her husband new respect. Indeed he gives them
a fine title: “Ruling Family of Ponnivala.”
- Tamarai and Kunnutaiya are now well-respected. They have become King and Queen of beautiful Ponnivala!