- The Ponnivala fighters have just lost all their dogs to
Komban’s trickery. Afraid for their own lives they start to run
- But Komban is in hot pursuit. He knows the forest far better
than these frightened men, all sons of farmers. He plans to trap
- Soon Komban has all the fighters cornered in a cul-de-sac.
They have nowhere to go!
- Komban tosses many poor men high in the air with his tusks.
- He keeps on terrorizing them until there is nothing left but
a big mess of injured men lying on the ground.
- However, King Komban does not win his battle with the farmers so easily! The heroes’ little sister has a tiny female dog, her pet. That little dog was born to defeat Komban. He doesn't know this and makes the mistake of trying to bully her!
- The little dog, named Ponnachi, chews off Komban’s ears.
Then she grabs a hold of his tail as he tries to run, biting him
using the poison in her teeth!
- Ponnachi has preplanned this and has asked the two heroes to
stand on a high cliff, ready with their great boar spear. She jumps
off Komban’s tail and calls to them at the last moment!
- The great beast rears and cries out with his final breath to
his forest princess: “Oh Viratangal The Brave! Help me!”
- The princess Viratangal hears Komban’s cry. She quickly
gathers her brothers to plan a revenge for this deadly attack on her
dear pet. Lord Vishnu is there to assure these hunters that they
- Meanwhile the elder hero assigns their First Minister the
task of skinning and cutting up Komban’s body. It will become a
great offering to the gods.
- But no sooner is the meat cut up and laid out on seven plates
than Lord Vishnu himself comes along, looking like a washerman. He
asks for the head of the great demon for his “pregnant wife.”
- Vishnu gets agreement and prepares to take his sacrificial
share - the head of the great beast - away.
- Lord Vishnu, still in disguise, drags the head away.